The car maker said yesterday the roll-out of the fix for the 3.0-litre V6 – it will also affect 165 vehicles yet to arrive in Australia, which will have their delivery delayed – is still pending government approval.
“Subject to approval of the proposed technical software update by the relevant authorities, the recall is expected to commence in Europe in the European autumn 2017, with an Australian voluntary recall to follow as soon as possible thereafter,” Porsche Cars Australia said.
“PCA will take a responsible approach towards its customers. It is of great importance to PCA that customer expectations regarding quality, integrity and service are met to the fullest extent.”
Cayennes caught up in the recall were built between August 22, 2014 and July 27, 2017. The vehicles were banned from sale in Germany in response to the scandal.
“All affected vehicles remain safe to drive and may continue to be driven as normal,” Porsche said. “When the proposed technical software update is available, all owners of affected vehicles will be contacted by their official Porsche Centre to arrange the free software update, which should take around one hour.
“PCA will work constructively with the Department of Infrastructure and Regional Development and all other relevant parties to implement the voluntary software update.”
Sister brand Audi is yet to roll out a recall for 3.0-litre V6 diesel engines used in its products, although it has announced a fix for the EA186 1.6- and 2.0-litre diesel engines also scooped up in the Dieselgate scandal.
Adding Porsche’s previously undisclosed Dieselgate numbers pushes the number of Volkswagen Group recalls tied to the scandal to more than 100,000 vehicles in Australia.
The first fix – made to almost 9000 2.0-litre engines used in the Volkswagen Amarok trade ute – gained government approval in January last year.
Volkswagen Group Australia says it has received government approval to make mechanical and software changes to VW-badged vehicles to ensure they meet emissions ratings.