It's lost the SEMA-sized rims, peachy paint job and Star Trek interior, but the 2010 production version of BMW's Gran Turismo concept is a near mirror image of the concept that debuted at the last Geneva show.
Following Audi's lead of a niche for every niche, the four-door coupe-like-sedan fattens the 5 Series range out to four while affordably (for Beemer) retaining the same underlying mechanicals and powerplants.
The GT will be released with three engine choices initially: the fabulous 3.0-litre twin-turbo six, the 4.4-litre V8, and the lovely 3.0-litre diesel inline six. It retains the two-stage boot with its chute and hatch apertures - the former is very Mini in its operation...
We can expect a $10 - $15K premium over the sedan for the 6-Series style hatched back.
BMW 535i Gran Turismo:
Straight-six gasoline engine with TwinPower Turbo,
High Precision Injection and VALVETRONIC,
Capacity: 2,979 cc,
max output: 225 kW/306 hp at 5,800 rpm,
max torque: 400 Nm/295 lb-ft from 1,200-5,000 rpm,
Acceleration 0-100 km/h: 6.3 seconds,
Top speed: 250 km/h (155 mph),
Average fuel consumption to the EU standard: 8.9 Liter/100 kilometres,
equal to 31.7 mpg imp,
CO2 emissions to the EU standard: 209 g/km,
emission standard: EU5
BMW 550i Gran Turismo:
V8 gasoline engine with TwinPower Turbo and High Precision Injection
Capacity: 4, 395 cc,
max output: 300 kW/407 hp from 5, 500-6,400 rpm,
max torque: 600 Nm/442 lb-ft from 1,750-4,500 rpm
Acceleration 0-100 km/h: 5.5 seconds
Top speed: 250 km/h (155 mph)
Average fuel consumption to the EU standard: 11.2 litres/100 kilometres,
equal to 25.2 mpg imp
CO2 emissions to the EU standard: 263 g/km,
emission standard: EU5
BMW 530d Gran Turismo:
straight-six diesel engine with aluminium crankcase and third-generation
common-rail direct fuel injection (piezo-injectors),
max injection pressure: 1,800 bar
Capacity: 2,993 cc,
max output: 180 kW/245 hp at 4,000 rpm,
max torque: 540 Nm/398 lb-ft from 1,750-3,000 rpm
Acceleration 0-100 km/h: 6.9 seconds
Top speed: 240 km/h (149 mph)
Average fuel consumption to the EU standard: 6.5 litres/100 kilometres,
equal to 43.5 mpg imp
CO2 emissions to the EU standard: 173 g/km,
emission standard: EU5
- The BMW 5 Series Gran Turismo.
- Description in Brief.
- • BMW is once again defining a brand-new segment in the automobile market.
- The BMW 5 Series Gran Turismo combines elegance, space, comfort and
- variability in truly unique style. As an attractive, future-oriented extension of
- the BMW 5 Series, the BMW 5 Series Gran Turismo is quite unparalleled
- worldwide in the upper middle segment, combining the characteristic features
- of a prestige saloon, a modern, highly versatile Sports Activity Vehicle, and a
- classic Gran Turismo in brand-new, unprecedented style.
- • Through its body design, the BMW 5 Series Gran Turismo combines the
- proportions so typical of a BMW, an elegantly stretched silhouette and a
- coupé-like roofline, as well as four doors with frameless windows to create
- one complete, harmonious unit. The front view of the car animates powerful
- dynamism through the sheer presence of the upright BMW kidney grille, large
- air intakes and dual round headlights slanted back at an attractive angle. For
- the fi rst time the daytime driving light function is provided by corona rings
- with LED technology. Boasting clear-cut horizontal lines, the rear end comes
- with that characteristic look of width, power and muscle further enhanced by
- L-shaped rear light clusters with homogenously illuminated rows of lights in
- LED technology.
- • The luxurious and, for a car with this kind of coupé-like silhouette, surprisingly
- generous and variable interior gives both the driver and passengers
- a spontaneous feeling of comfort and well-being. This superior feeling is
- further enhanced by comfortable entry to the car, the slightly elevated seating
- position, the large window areas, the optional panorama glass roof, as well as
- exquisite materials and supreme quality of fi nish.
- • Flexibly adjustable, the interior of the BMW 5 Series Gran Turismo enables
- the driver and passengers to vary the generous space inside the car as they
- wish to their individual, personal requirements. In their standard position,
- the rear seats offer the passengers the same kind of legroom as in the
- BMW 7 Series combined with the same headroom as in the BMW X5. In
- this configuration, luggage capacity is already an ample 440 litres or 15.4 cu
- ft. Thanks to the partition behind the rear seats, the passenger and luggage
- compartments are separated acoustically and in terms of climate conditions
- from one another like in a saloon. When required, the rear seats may be
- moved individually to the front by up to 100 millimetres or almost 4", with
- legroom still remaining the same as in the BMW 5 Series Saloon and an
- increase in luggage capacity to 590 litres or 20.7 cu ft. And after folding down
- the rear-seat backrests together with the partition, finally, luggage space
- increases to its maximum capacity of 1,700 litres or 59.5 cu ft.
- • Offering unique functionality, the two-piece tailgate on the
- BMW 5 Series Gran Turismo provides exceptional variability and maximum
- comfort in loading the luggage compartment. Opening the small, sedan-like
- luggage compartment lid beneath the rear window, with the tailgate as such
- remaining closed, the driver and passengers are able to conveniently load
- the rear compartment without causing any unpleasant noise, draughts or
- changes in temperature within the passenger compartment. To load large
- and bulky objects, on the other hand, all they have to do is open the large
- tailgate for maximum convenience.
- • The sheer space and the inspiring, modern design of the interior team up to
- provide a truly luxurious ambience and the supreme long-distance comfort of
- a modern Gran Turismo. The sleek surfaces on the front and rear door panels
- merging smoothly into one another as well as the horizontal arrangement of
- the instrument panel enhance the impression of supreme generosity. Seat
- comfort, headroom and elbow freedom are all of the highest standard otherwise
- to be found only in the luxury performance class. The slightly elevated
- seating position, the clear, structured arrangement of the controls, BMW's
- new iDrive with its Control Display up to 10.2 inches in size, and the cockpit
- in Black Panel technology all help to give the driver maximum supremacy at
- all times. The rear seats may be adjusted individually fore-and-aft and also
- come with individual adjustment of the backrest angle. To meet the greatest
- demands in terms of individual luxury, finally, two individual comfort seats at
- the rear are available as an option.
- • The BMW 5 Series Gran Turismo is entering the market with a choice
- of no less than three ultra-modern drive units carrying over
- BMW Effi cientDynamics into a new segment in the automobile world. The
- BMW 530d Gran Turismo offers a truly unique, unparalleled balance of
- driving experience and fuel economy with average fuel consumption in the
- EU test cycle of just 6.5 litres/100 kilometres, equal to 43.5 mpg imp, and
- a CO2 rating of 173 g/km. The two gasoline models also set new standards
- for efficiency in their respective engine class.
- As a world-first achievement introducing a new and even more efficient
- range of engines, the BMW 535i Gran Turismo comes with the first straight six
- gasoline engine featuring TwinPower Turbo, High Precision Injection
- and VALVETRONIC and developing maximum output of 225 kW/306 hp.
- The top engine in the range, fi nally, is the V8 TwinPower Turbo delivering
- maximum output of 300 kW/407 hp in the BMW 550i Gran Turismo. The
- BMW 530d Gran Turismo, in turn, comes with a 180 kW/245 hp straight-six
- diesel of the latest generation with an all-aluminium crankcase and common rail
- direct fuel injection. All engines naturally fulfil the EU5 emission standard.
- • All model variants come as standard with the eight-speed automatic transmission
- previously to be admired only in the BMW 760i twelve-cylinder luxury
- saloon. Featuring an innovative configuration of gearsets, a unique level of
- internal efficiency and the same low weight and compact dimensions as a
- six-speed automatic transmission, this high-tech automatic combines gearshift
- comfort, dynamic performance, and motoring efficiency of the highest
- calibre. The most advanced engine technology, the innovative eight-speed
- automatic transmission, and a wide range of unique technologies in the
- context of BMW EfficientDynamics allow the BMW 5 Series Gran Turismo to
- set new standards also in terms of economy and emission management.
- • The modern, demanding suspension technology of the
- BMW 5 Series Gran Turismo is designed for both fascinating driving
- dynamics and supreme grand touring comfort. The double track control arm
- front axle and the Integral-V rear axle exclusive to BMW are made largely of
- aluminium. Standard features also include rear axle air suspension as well as
- hydraulic rack-and-pinion steering with a steering servo pump operating on
- demand. Integral Active Steering is available as an option, combining active
- steering of the front wheels with rear-wheel steering varying according to
- driving conditions and current requirements.
- • Featured as standard, Dynamic Drive Control influences not only the gearshift
- dynamics, but also the gas pedal and steering assistance control map. In
- combination with optional Adaptive Drive, the dampers with infinite variation
- on both the inbound and rebound stroke contribute to the superior suspension
- function. In addition to the NORMAL, SPORT and SPORT+ programs,
- the driver also has the choice of the COMFORT mode available directly from
- the Dynamic Drive Control button on the centre console. A further point is
- that intervention in DSC Dynamic Stability Control is reduced in the SPORT+
- setting and in the traction mode.
- The optimised body structure in conjunction with appropriately coordinated
- and electronically masterminded passive safety systems ensures maximum
- occupant safety at all times. These systems include three-point inertia-reel
- seat belts on all seats, frontal and side airbags as well as head airbags at the
- side, crash-activated headrests at the front, runfl at tyres and a tyre defect
- indicator. The standard features include foglamps and adaptive brake lights,
- with bi-xenon dual headlights including a daytime driving light function as well
- as Adaptive Headlights with variable light distribution and Bending Lights all
- coming as an option.
- • The BMW 5 Series Gran Turismo is also available as an option with the
- complete range of features from BMW ConnectedDrive, including Cruise
- Control with Stop & Go, a High-Beam Assistant, Lane Change Warning,
- Lane Departure Warning, Speed Limit Info, BMW Night Vision with detection
- of individual persons, Side View, Top View, and a back-up camera. Over
- and above these outstanding features, BMW ConnectedDrive also offers
- BMW Online, BMW Assist, BMW TeleServices, as well as an Enhanced
- Emergency Call function automatically determining and reporting the current
- location of the car.
- • The wide range of standard features offered by the
- BMW 5 Series Gran Turismo includes automatic air conditioning, an audio
- system, an AUX-In connector bush, and the Integrated Owner's Manual.
- Optional features include four-zone automatic air conditioning (standard in
- the BMW 550i Gran Turismo), telecommunication and navigation systems,
- a USB port, an 80 GB hard disc for navigation data and the user's private
- music collection, a multi-channel audio system, a DAB double tuner, a DVD
- entertainment system at the rear, a Head-Up Display, a panorama glass roof
- optimised for noise control and attractive design, as well as an electrically
- swivelling trailer hook.
In the market for a new car? Check out Australia's Best Value Cars.
Sign up here to receive the latest round-up of Wheels news, reviews and video highlights straight to your inbox each week.
Want free access to 5 years of Wheels archive content? Sign up now!